What is the Best Seat Cushion for Buttock Pain?
Often, as a chiropractor and seat cushion designer, I am asked about pressure management in seating and specifically about cushions. Much incorrect information is out there regarding pressure management and cushions, so I wanted to write an article outlining some of the challenges and providing some evidence-based solutions.
As a general rule, the best seat cushion for buttock pain has a high destiny base and a soft, contoured top layer. For core muscle engagement and spinal muscle relaxation, your hips must be above your knees. In addition to being four-dimensionally stretchy, it should also be ventilated and non-slip.
*This is my opinion as a chiropractor and seat designer.
The majority of seat cushions don’t seem to be constructed to make you comfortable or healthy. People suffering from buttock pain often have pain, poor circulation, and even potential pressure sores. Therefore, choosing the right seat cushion for buttock pain can make a big difference in your life.
You don’t have to worry, I’ve got your back! After treating back pain patients for 30 years and analysing almost every seat cushion ever made, I can guide you to make the right decision about the benefits of the best seat cushion for buttock pain.
There are many incorrect facts out there regarding pressure management and cushions, so I felt that I needed to provide some evidence-based solutions to help address this issue.
There Are Several Things to Consider When Choosing a Cushion for Buttock Pain:
Excellent seat cushions help redistribute pressure on your seat so that it does not spread out over some sensitive areas such as hips, tailbone, and thighs, which can cause problems with buttock pain or painful pressure points. If you choose the right cushion, your weight will be evenly distributed across your entire seat.
This weight distribution reduces the risk of developing buttock pain, and people with back pain will also be more comfortable because their hips and coccyx will receive less pressure.
Should Improve Your Posture
Many desk workers hunch forward in their chairs. This posture can cause a variety of health problems. It’s easy to slouch in your seat, and many people cannot fix their posture. Your spine is thus placed under unnecessary strain.
When your chair cushions are set up correctly, you can sit straight all day. High-end seat cushions are generally built with a firm support base and a soft comfort layer on top. These cushions have a non-slip base, as well as covers that offer enough traction to keep you in place all day long. Their design keeps your hips in the correct position all day long, which ensures good posture.
Seat cushions can become very hot if they’re not properly ventilated, making you uncomfortable and fidgety. Heat may accumulate and circulate your seat even if you keep your space cooler.
What You Need to Know About Setting Your Seat Cushion Temperature:
We found that Gel cushions don’t provide the sort of cooling comfort you need throughout your day. There seems to be a lot of marketing jargon stating that cushions infused with gel help move heat away from your body. Nevertheless, we tried and tested gel toppers extensively with hundreds of patients who reported back that it makes no difference at all!
Since memory foam cushions consist of synthetic (petrochemical) materials, they do not breathe, which increases their likelihood of trapping heat and disrupting your comfort because the temperature rises and becomes unbearable after a while. Additionally, polyurethane or memory foams have a closed-cell structure that holds heat more than natural latex and makes your seat very hot.
I was surprised how similar cheap memory foam seat cushions were on Aliexpress from the listing on Amazon!
Here are the main points why I don’t advise memory foam:
- Lack of Resiliency. Too much heat will cause memory foam to lose its resiliency, resulting in pressure points.
- Off-gassing. There is a tendency for memory and polyurethane foams to off-gas.
In the past, experts believed memory foam and polyurethane foams would degas after around six months. However, in 2019, a study determined that off-gassing in mattresses continued even after six months of air-conditioning.
- Memory Foam is Unbiodegradable. Polyurethane foams (Memory Foam) do not biodegrade, so a mattress in the ground would remain unchanged for over 100 years.
- Motion Isolating. With latex cushions with the highest motion isolation, you can compress a local area without affecting the overall area, known as “point elastic”. Memory foam is also point elastic, but it also absorbs energy by compressing. In contrast to memory foam, the springiness of latex cushions makes movement easier and makes people feel like they’re sitting on springs, as opposed to memory foam, which feels “dead,” making them feel trapped.
Natural Latex Foam
A natural latex cushion offers a cooler sitting experience than synthetic foam materials such as memory foam or polyurethane foam. It has an open-cell structure that allows the foam to breathe. Air circulation is also enhanced by the presence of pinholes that are strategically placed during the production process. Daytime movements exchange the air inside and outside of the cushion, causing you to feel cooler.
Here’s why natural latex is best for ergonomic seat cushions:
- Natural latex seat cushions are renowned for their ability to help promote spinal alignment. The heavier parts of your bottom, such as the coccyx and ischial tuberosities, sink into the latex, while the lighter details get the perfect support to maintain a natural alignment. The pressure distribution on a natural latex seat cushion allows your muscles and ligaments to relax and recover as you sit. Additionally, blood circulation is improved due to this good pressure distribution.
A 100% natural latex seat cushion is made from natural materials and is chemical-free. Memory foam cushions, on the other hand, emit toxic gases.
- Raw latex is derived from sustainably managed trees. The sap is harvested from Hevea Brasiliensis trees, which are healthy and capable of growing and producing oxygen. As existing trees reach the end of their lives, sustainable latex farms plant new trees.
- Natural Latex is Entirely Biodegradable and Recyclable. Natural latex can be easily recycled if no longer required. A latex cushion buried in the ground biodegrades in a year.
- In addition to aligning your spine, natural latex also relieves pressure points.
- Natural latex seat cushions provide more active support than seat cushions made of other materials. For example, they prevent you from sinking into a seat cushion past a certain point, but as your body weight is applied, the more it rebounds. This resiliency is what makes natural latex unique and why people love it.
- Latex does not provide a suitable surface for bacteria, mould, or dust mite growth, so it naturally repels those organisms. Latex provides a healthy working environment because of its antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- As a chiropractor and designer, I love natural latex because it allows for so much customisation. Some of our highest-end ergonomic designs have been made from natural latex.
Excellent Air Circulation
- In contrast to most traditional (petrochemical) memory foam, natural latex foam ensures that air can circulate as you move. This air circulation makes it more comfortable to sit on than most other seating devices.
Natural Products Have a Higher Price Since There are No Chemicals
- Natural mattresses are made from high-quality materials, which are a little more expensive than petrochemical foams but also worth every penny! For instance, 12 acres of rubber trees are needed to make one double-sized latex mattress.
The Fabric of Your Seat Cushion:
The fabric should breathe and have ventilation holes cut into it so that there is ample airflow and that you do not overheat.
The other thing you want to do is to make sure they have a non-slip base. This proper non-slip bottom cover will ensure that your cushion will stay in place as you shift and move during the day.
In addition to gripping you, the fabric should stretch isotropically (in 4D) to evenly disperse the load, avoiding those nasty pressure points!
The cushion cover should be removable and washable; it should be ventilated to stay cool and dry all day. Getting a lightweight cushion will also make it easy for you to transport from the office to your car.
Your Seat Cushion Needs to Control Moisture
If you’re overheated, your seat cushion can sweat, which can create an uncomfortable moist environment. Cushions can help keep you cool on your seat, saving you from sweating and keeping the seat drier. Those ventilation holes discussed earlier can also ensure proper airflow to wick away any existing moisture on the seat.
Natural Latex Foam Benefits
You might be surprised to know that using an ergonomic seat cushion made of natural latex can offer many benefits. One advantage is that it can help to redistribute pressure and reduce stress on tissues, which may improve circulation. It’s important to note that certain materials are more durable and supportive than others, such as natural latex.
When sitting for long periods, using a chair paired with a high-quality cushion can help reduce discomfort and improve posture. The cushion should be made of a material that can mold to the body’s shape, like natural latex, to prevent the hips from sliding out of alignment and placing strain on the lower back. This can also help prevent the upper spine and neck from being pulled into an unnatural angle. Overall, a natural latex cushion may help keep the body in a proper alignment while sitting.
What to Look For in the Design of Your Seat Cushion for Buttock Pain
The core is the centre of your body. Suppose you have a strong, stiff and stable core. In that case, it will help keep everything else in place when we are doing any activity or exercise so that there’s less pressure on our joints which can reduce injuries from things like back pain to shoulder injuries and improve performance because all those muscles work together better too. So make sure your seat cushion aids in support here!
I’ve written a complete hands-on review about the best sitting position for sciatica and here is what I tested best with my sciatica patients.
Seat Cushions for Buttock Pain Should Have the Following Design Features:
- Always choose a seat cushion designed by an expert who understands and has well-researched back pain and buttock relief from optimal seated positions and materials.
- High destiny base foam is a must!
- An essential soft top contoured comfort layer
- The design should incorporate hips above the knees for optimal support and comfort.
- Non-toxic. Always opt for natural materials.
- A 4D stretch fabric that breathes
- The non-slip bottom is essential.
I explain the concept of a seat cushion design for buttock pain on a TV show HERE!
In the world of ergonomics and FAKE REVIEWS, there are many who claim that a seat cushion is going to provide you with relief from pressure on your buttock. Unfortunately, this isn’t always true and it’s important to be aware of some common pitfalls when selecting cushions for buttocks pain.
What I hope my article has done is given you insight into how different types of seating can affect how much weight we place in our buttocks area as well as what type of cushioning might work best if you’re struggling with Buttock Pain. If you want more information about other aspects related to office furniture or ergonomic solutions don’t hesitate to visit my blog where I publish regular articles addressing these topics.
If you are into super easy and inexpensive alternatives to office chairs, I wrote a fantastic article on how and why you should consider these options for back pain and I encourage you to read it!